| ||Click on the update you want to explore. A new window will open, so you can always close it
and come back here! |
The Team in Peru
(April 7 - May 29, 1999)
April 7, 1999: Are we there yet? How much longer 'til South America?
April 10, 1999: Digging into the Mystery of Peruvian Culture
- Human cargo - Shawn gets to sleep on a slimy galley floor until...Ahhh! Someone dumps cooking water on him!
- Scared of death? The Lord of Sipan made sure he'd have enough food and water to make it to his final destination. Check out what else is in his tomb!
April 14, 1999: High Tech Trekkin' Through Ancient Terrain
- Thristy? How about a goblet full of the blood of sacrificed victims? Abeja digs into the history of the Moche Pyramid of the Sun
- Monica tracks the clues to find out when and how her digital camera and computer were stolen. Now there's a reward out for whoever catches the thief!
April 17, 1999: Peru: More Adventure and Scandal than Hollywood!
- We heard she was looking thin, but could this be right? Nature plays tricks on Monica when she stands on the equator.
- Brrrrrrrr! It's a naked Shawn! He's lost his boots and jacket already - what's next?!
April 21, 1999: Peruvian Meals, Mysteries and Tombs!
- Shawn thought he was "in the money." Instead, he got ripped off with funny money (and that's not so funny!)
- Does "colonialism" make you think of pilgrims or the "Boston Tea-Party"? Peru has its own story of colonialism, only it involves guano (bird poop), not tea!
April 24, 1999: Peru, Potato Chips and a Pot of Gold!
- Sherlock Monica spots a giant monkey, an enormous bird and a huge spider! Is this a zoo, an art exhibit, an agricultural reminder, or a ritual?
- Betty Crocker never served this up for dinner. Kevin has to eat cuy!
April 28, 1999: Peruvian Pleasures for Your Favorite Trekkers
- Sure, barbecue potato chips are good, but how about 140 other possibilities? Kavitha tells us how biodiversity in potatoes leads to more than just a good chip.
- Wouldn't it be nice to have a whole community to help you with your homework? Abeja tells us how community-focused living brings straight "A's" to Peruvian villages.
May 1, 1999: Standing up for Peru (it holds your fate, too!)
- Find out why Shawn was so excited about his discovery of the Hare Krishna restaurants in Lima.
- Monica climbs high above Cuzco and discovers why the locals say their city is shaped like a puma!
May 5, 1999: Sail, Gallop and Run with Us through Peru!
- We're losing animal species by the moment! Shawn gives us the low-down on why this is hapening and what we can do to help.
- Corn on the Golden Cob? There was more gold in "The Temple of the Sun" than Mr. T work around his neck (and that's a lot!!). Monica visits the splendor of Corcancha, and the center of the four corners.
May 8, 1999: The World Trekkers Strike Back!
- Just a stone's throw away from central Cuzco, Kevin made new young friends and learned more about the ancient secrets of the Incas.
- The United States postal service may have next day delivery, but find out why it can't hold a candle to the speedy Incas!
May 12, 1999: The World Trekkers on the Move
- Kavitha tells us why the Shinning Path left everyone in the dark.
- Kevin lets us know why you can't tell a book by its cover, or a person by the slant of their eyes.
May 15, 1999: "Living La Vida Loca" in Peru
- It's the big one we've all been waiting for! Monica takes us along on her endurance trek up to the great Machu Picchu ruins.
- What caused the single most powerful and far-reaching loss of life ever to occur in the New World? Kevin explores the heart of destruction.
May 19, 1999: Making Money and Paying Homage in Peru
- Kevin gets face to face with a llama. Learn why llamas spit on possible sweethearts, and why you might want a llama instead of a backpack to carry home your homework!
- Shawn takes us on a walk among the treetops in the amazon. Don't look down! You could fall into a pit of deadly snakes and flesh-eating mosquitoes!
May 22, 1999: Rowing, Boarding, Partying, and Loving our Way through Peru!
- Kevin finds out that the nuns at the Monastery of Santa Catalina in Arequina used to take showers once a month. Is this why they never got married?
- Find out why Monica claims there's no place on earth like the Uros Floating Islands.
May 26, 1999: Connecting with Kids in Peru
- Take a ride on the whitewater down the Urubamba River with Kevin!
- Check out our very own beauty queen! Monica gets dressed for a local fiesta!
- Bringin' home the bacon! Kati may only be 8 years old, but Kevin finds out she is one smooth-talking saleswoman!
- Shawn discovers a Danish dozen in a Peruvian hotel.
May 29, 1999: Goodbye Peru, Hello Bolivia!: Poetry, Prisons and Plata
- Monica takes us on an exciting adventure down under a silver mine! Wish her luck and don't forget the dynamite!
- Kavitha tells the tale of Peru's worst prison, and of how many innocent people end up there.